Tuesday 6 November 2012

Thing 2- Investigate some other blogs

So I have a blog, I have another blog for CPD23, what's next?

Thing 2, suggests I investigate other CPD23 blogs, so I'm writing a post about my experiences seeking out other information related blogs, CPD23 or otherwise. I'll talk a little about the tools I find useful for keeping track of the blogs I'm interested in and how I plan to interact with blogs in general.

I've just started using Google reader to keep track of the blogs and websites I'm interested in. I'll only talk briefly about my use of Google Reader here as I'm aware that a later 'thing' does go in to using reader in more detail. I started off collecting RSS feeds in outlook, so I could keep up to date with the latest library news and developments whilst managing my work email account. My manager however recommended that I take a look at reader and now It's now my preferred way of collecting RSS feeds. The interface is really user-friendly and there is always an option to subscribe to blogs and webpages by atom feed through Google. I use blogger, so it's also nice to when I find a blog I like, I can easily follow it and it will appear in my list on reader. I'm currently following five or six library blogs, alongside the RSS feeds for RCS publications, but up to this point I have not commented on many. This will be a task I will be setting myself, as I know the conversations I have through integrating with other bloggers will open me up to a wider learning opportunities.

The second tool I've found great for finding interesting blogs is CILIP communities 'blog landscape'. It is fantastic for keeping up to date with developments in the library world and for gaining a better insight in to the wider profession. The website compiles a selection of blogs, authored by CILIP members and staff in order to bring CILIP blogs together in one place. I've recently had my blog linked to the site, so now as well as gaining a readership for my blog, I can investigate other members blogs and follow them on twitter for relevant updates and information. You can also access the blog landscape by clicking on the 'CILIP Blogger' logo on my page. If you are already a member of CILIP and you think you would like your blog uploaded to the landscape, you should check your blog against the required criteria and then contact CILIP who will be more than happy to help. Further information is provided the CILIP website.

The blogs I currently follow are;

The Wikiman
The Neon Librarian
Bethan's Information Professional Blog
Letters to a Young Librarian
Organising Chaos
EmKay
In Pursuit of History

Since starting CPD 23 I have come across a number of really interesting blogs, I've listed a few here but there are a number of great CPD blogs out there; But I do like Cardigans, Lisa in the Health Library and Her Slant Finely.



No comments:

Post a Comment